Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Homemade Hair Milk: Natural Ingredients For Hair Milk

I've been natural for about nine years and I've discovered some staple products. These products give my hair so much shine and makes it easy to style. But what happens when allergies are hindering my beauty regiment. Health is more important than beauty and I had to learn that lesson the hard way. 

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk has been one of my staples for three years. If anyone on campus (Florida A&M University) would ask me, "How do you twist your hair?" then I would reply, "Have you heard of Carol's Daughter?" It would just roll off my tongue effortlessly and I genuinely loved giving recognition to an African-American business owner who makes products for African-American hair textures. 

It was a way for me to give back to my community. I remember when Carol's Daughter started to expand and her brand was becoming well-known through artist endorsements. I was excited because I was growing with the company and I believed I help with spreading the word. 

But I do believe with all the recognition the product had ingredients or process changes. My body has a way of telling me about little changes and I react to them quickly. So, as soon as the hair milk increased in price for the same bottle and the smell of lemongrass was stronger, I knew something was different. I couldn't put my finger on it, but my hands started itching after I twisted my hair. My hands, the night after had small bubble marks with liquid. After the bubbles burst they would create red marks. Some spots on my hands were rough and dark with scaly skin patches. It was a disaster, but my hair looked healthy, while my hands were dry and brittle. 

I checked the ingredients and compared the old hair milk to the new one, everything was the same. Gloves became my best friend as I twisted my hair. They were the protectant from the damaging hair milk. I tried every situation except for stop using the product. It was hard and my hands were looking worse than usual. The side effects of the hair milk lasted longer every time I used it.

If I gave up the product, then how would I do my hair? I tried Shea Moisture's Hair Milk. It had the same effect but less detrimental and itchy. I searched YouTube and Google for recipes to make natural hair milk. A few pages on Google had too many ingredients and others had breakdowns that were too in depth. I needed a quick recipe. I combined oils I knew my hair was used to with oils suggested on social media.

At first, I was unsure if this would work. I thought all of the oils and butters would probably create a mess that wouldn't resemble hair milk or my hair would have a greasy texture. But I was wrong, my mixture came out perfect with the same effects as Carol's Daughter. I had shine, soft twists but great looking hands. 

If you have allergies or you're tired of being a product junkie use this recipe I have discovered.


*All products are unrefined, raw or organic*

1. Cocoa Butter 
2. Shea Butter
3. Olive Oil
4. Coconut Oil
5. Argan Oil
6. Sweet Almond Oil
7. Rose water with glycerin

Mix all of these oils and butters until it becomes a milky consistency. Butters must be melted down before adding the rest of the oils. It's best to let ingredients cool for about 30 minutes to an hour. The cooling method allows the oils to solidify and become thick. You must stir the liquid until it becomes milky. I store my hair milk in a travel size bottle. If you're storing this in a bottle it's best to get a funnel to avoid a mess.

Love 

The "Healthy Living" Phoenix        



Follow Me On Twitter: 91WriterzStatus

YouTube: 91WriterzStatus
IG: Preciousfearless
Twitter:PreciousD_R
Website: preciousdr.com
Comment, Rate, Follow and Reply!


No comments:

Post a Comment